We went to a birthday party yesterday and I decided to bring a potato salad that I had made for the first time last week. It’s called Big Daddy’s Grilled Blue Cheese-and-Bacon Potato Salad. I love it, but my husband hates it. He wouldn’t even eat all of it on his plate! I thought that I must be crazy or something if he disliked it that bad. Then my brother tried it and he really liked it and my mom tried it and she loved it to. I have decided that my husband is crazy not me!
So I made the potato salad and brought it to the party. Everybody loved it! Every time I went into the kitchen people were raving about the potato salad! I was so proud of myself! Hehe! After a little bit another potato salad came out of the fridge. I tried that one and it was great also! So I’m posting both the recipes here.
Here is the one that I made. It is so easy which makes it perfect for a party.
Big Daddy’s Grilled Blue Cheese-and-Bacon Potato Salad
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Other: 35 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 3 pounds baby red potatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar*
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
1. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Place potatoes in a single layer in center of a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring up foil sides over potatoes; double fold top and side edges to seal, making 1 large packet.
2. Grill potatoes, in foil packet, covered with grill lid, 15 minutes on each side. Remove packet from grill. Carefully open packet, using tongs, and let potatoes cool 5 minutes.
3. Whisk together mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; add potatoes, tossing gently to coat. Stir in onion, blue cheese, and bacon.
*Balsamic vinegar may be substituted but will darken the color of the dressing.
Here is the other yummy potato salad! Now if someone could tell me a cornichon is I might be able to make it!
Cold-Fashioned Potato Salad
- Prep Time: 35 min
- Inactive Prep Time: 9 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Serves: 4 – 6
- 2 1/2 pounds red potatoes, large diced
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (homemade if possible)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 tablespoon very thinly sliced garlic
- 3 tablespoons fine chopped cornichons
- 1/2 cup small dice red onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place potatoes into a large heavy-bottomed pot. Cover with cold water and place over medium heat. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat and remove lid. Gently simmer until potatoes are fork tender. Drain and place into an ice bath to cool. Remove skin by rubbing with a tea towel. Slice potatoes into rounds and place into a zip top bag. Add the vinegar and toss to coat all of the potatoes. Place the bag into the refrigerator overnight.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, tarragon, garlic, cornichons, onions, and celery. Once evenly combined, add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Let the salad chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.